Happy New Year!!! 🙂
I don’t know about everyone else but I for one am thrilled that 2016 is over and 2017 has begun. Aside from the celebrity deaths and political nightmares, 2016 was a bit of a weird one for me with my health, career and personally. It had so many good bits but quite a few bad bits too – I think it was similar for most people. To say I have high hopes for 2017 is probably an understatement but I genuinely feel super excited for what this year could bring.
I know everyone hates the whole new years resolution, “new year, new me” thing. I get it. Ultimately just because it’s a new year that doesn’t mean you’re going to have a massive personality change and be a completely different human to the one you were 24 hours ago. You see it all over Facebook and Twitter, people saying how because it’s New Year they’re going to be completely different, and then a week/month later they’re back, being the same person they always were. Equally, I think resolutions can be a little damaging in a way. They generally consist of weight loss goals, which whilst great can also be a little unrealistic and vague. This isn’t always the way obviously, but a lot of the time it can be and to be honest I am the biggest culprit. I distinctly remember last years “resolutions” being ‘Lose weight, be healthier, drink more water’ – a bit vague, not massively helpful and I’m pretty sure I did the opposite actually. Which is why this year I’m not doing resolutions so much as “goals”. Things that I’d like to achieve this year, but if I don’t it’s not the end of the world. They consist of:
- Lose 3 stone by the end of the year – So I know I said that weight loss was a risky one, but I really do need to lose these 3 stone and I’ve tried to be specific. Additionally, I know what I need to do: stop eating crisps and do more exercise… Such a mare.
- Do yoga x3 and swimming x4 a week – I need to get back on the whole exercise thing but I really really really hate the gym. So, instead I’ve decided to do things I enjoy. I signed up to Yogaia last year but this year I really want to make use of it (it’s really handy for doing yoga classes at home, go check it out!) and Pete and I both enjoy a good swim after work so we’re going to start doing that regularly too.
- Be more grateful & live in the moment – I spent so much of last year focusing on the future. When would I have to have children, would I even be able to, do I have time to do more training after university before having children? Instead, this year I want to live in the moment more, focus on the now. I don’t want to miss all the exciting things happening right at this very minute because I was too busy dwelling on what may or may not happen in my future.
- Get through university being a bit more organised… – so it’s not going off to a great start if I’m honest, ’cause I literally haven’t even looked at any of my uni work but I want Semester 2 to be a lot more organised and less stressful. It’s going to be a tough ask because I’m pretty positive I’ll be having an operation in the middle of it, but y’know, I can try. With 4 mainly writing modules next semester I’m going to need to be on top of my game.
- Try and blog more – I am really hit and miss when it comes to blogging regularly but ultimately this year I want to try harder and blog on a regular basis. Will it happen? Can’t say, but I’m going to try!
So it won’t be a new year, new me, but it will be a new year, improved me. I’ll try and keep you all updated with how it goes. In the meantime, I’m going to carry on sitting on the sofa with my candles and How to Get Away With Murder and chill for one more day.
What are your new years goals? What do you hope for 2017? 🙂