I’m writing this post on what feels like the hottest day of the year. In September. I remember, when I was younger, going back to school in “winter” uniform and it actually being cold… Now I’m wishing it was colder and that I didn’t get a sweat on just walking to the shops. I just want tights/leggings/jeans so that I don’t have to shave my legs anymore really. That’s the dream. Ultimately Autumn is the start of my absolute favourite time of year. I love this point of the year. It’s about to get colder, it’s edging closer to Christmas and this time of year always seems so exciting. Here’s a few things I’m looking forward to when Autumn finally decides to show it’s pretty little face…
1. Going back to uni – I’ve put this here because I don’t actually go back to uni until October (it genuinely feels like I’m never there…) and by this time I’m secretly hoping it might actually be Autumn. I can’t believe that a year ago I was getting all excited about moving into halls (LOL.) and starting my course. Now, I’m excited about going back and seeing everyone, being back on campus and getting back to doing some work. And I’m not even ashamed to admit that I’m actually most excited about getting back to the campus coffee shops. I’ve missed that cheap, syrup filled coffee in my life.
2. Knitwear – My absolute favourite part of Autumn is that bit where it gets cold enough that you can wear a jumper and not have to worry about overheating as you walk up Guildford high street. Right now, as I stare at the sunshine outside, I’m concerned it might never reach that stage but give it a few weeks and hopefully I can swap out my wardrobe and show off my hard collected (and frequently bought) knitwear collection. Thin knit, chunky knit, I don’t care. I just want knitwear.
3. Hot chocolate time – So controversial stance here but I’m actually not that much of a Pumpkin Spice Latte fan. I know. I’m sorry. I just don’t get it. But what I do love is a good hot chocolate. Preferably with caramel syrup in it. And whipped cream. But obvs asking for it with skinny milk, because that totally offsets the huge amounts of whipped cream and sprinkles… Also, I refuse to drink hot chocolate unless it’s October and mildly chilly. Coffee, all year, all the time, never-ending. Hot chocolate, only when it’s cold.
4. Netflix & snuggle-under-blankets-with-candles-and-actually-chill – Firstly, if you’ve ever been to our flat/spoken to Pete, you’ll know that I am obsessed with candles. To the point where I’ve been accused of making a shrine. I burn them all year round, but in the winter it becomes an actual legit thing to do. With Netflix. Turn off the lights, light 90 (okay, 10, because having more than 10 candles lit is apparently a fire hazard…) candles, grab some blankets and pull the sofa bed out, it’s Netflix time. I’m pretty devastated I won’t have Pretty Little Liars to get me through this season, but I’m counting on Netflix (and Amazon Prime, you little cutie) to put up some classics and some exciting new tv shows to get us through the season.
5. The pretty colours – Yeah, yeah, I know, such a girly cliche, but I absolutely love the colours of Autumn. The picture at the top was taken about two years ago on a walk to the station in Chichester and for me it really highlights the beauty of Autumn – apart from the dog poo bin… Sorry about that. Oranges, reds, yellows – so so pretty. Guildford is also beautiful during Autumn and I’m hoping where we live now is also pretty and colourful. Plus, I was a totally cool adult woman on holiday and joined the National Trust (and I felt so old whilst doing it…) so now we can take advantage of the fab Surrey countryside and go on cute Autumn walks in the leaves. Yep, aside from PSLs, I am a massively basic bitch. Not even sorry.